"Monolith" Single-Doser Mühle von KafaTek

Diskutiere "Monolith" Single-Doser Mühle von KafaTek im Mühlen Forum im Bereich Maschinen und Technik; @Denis yes you are right. I think Luca did a mistake with his PVC shims. Like he has written, he knows about the high precission of the MAX. I...

1. Danix

Danix Mitglied

@Denis yes you are right. I think Luca did a mistake with his PVC shims. Like he has written, he knows about the high precission of the MAX.

I think the reason is very simple. He developed his own burrs togehther with SSP and he wants to sell them.
    Can you explain why a bean feeder is better should be better? For to a more homogenious feeding?

Yes we already know that fact. You have written it many times. :rolleyes:

2. #582 Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672, 16.03.2020
    Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672

Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672 Gast

@Danix
    There are two ways to make a grinder deliver a more uniform/homogenous grind:
    a. slow down the rpm, so the burrs dont take to much beans inside, allowing for a slower grind time - this is the principle used by Monolith and other producers (Lyn Weber, Ceado, Option-O Lagom, even chinese producers come now with custom RPM button)
    This was proven to work in all grinders, the slower you grind cause of lower RPM the less fines you have.

b. pre-break the beans and deliver them to the grinding room like that.
    this has the advantage that you put a lot less stress on the burrs/specially at the end grind, just before the grind leaves the burrs, meaning you can attain a more efficient crush/cut. Because of the high RPM the beans dont have a lot of time to stay between the burrs, cause they get pushed out by the other beans entering. But with a bean feeder (that brings the beans in portions) and because of the pre-crushed breans, you can now grind more efficient/more homogenous.

With the EK fully customized, you end up with this: the more fine you grind, the more homogenous particles you get. There is a point where you pull espresso with all particles (100%) under 100 microns, with the peak at 70 microns. This means you brew espresso only with fines, and it works and it's delicious. The problem with this is not a lot of machines can pull espresso with such a grind, so the most under extract.

If you want to experiment, you can pre-grind your dose at a really coarse setting (batch filter brew- 1mm+ particles) then regrind it for espresso. You will see that you now have to grind a lot finer than before, and the shot will run strange. The puck will have really low hydraulic resistance because of lacking fines, and you need to be spot on with the grind size. With my ex grinder, I could still pull a good shot, even if the grind size was not perfect. With uniform particle grinder you cannot do that, you need to find the best grind size, that delivers the ideal hydraulic resistance that fits your brewing profile (flow/pressure). This is why machines like manual freestyle lever or button pump machines cannot work. Cause you change a bit the profile each use, and this demands a different grind size that fits 100% the highest EY% shot, and the most delicious.

Espresso is different than brew, a grinder that will be stellar in espresso will not be godly in brew. Luca is chasing his demons for brewed coffee. I had the best results in brew with old style ditting/mahlkonig burrs (from grinders like old dittings or old mahlkonig - Kenya, Guatemala, VT6a).

The smaller the diameter of the burrs is, the more cluttered the beans will be, resulting in a less uniform grind, tweaking rpm will help, and still will not solve this 100%. For example there is a really small grinder from Mahlkonig with bean feeder and 50mm burrs. The grinder does a lot of fines when pushed towards fine grind, cause the grinding surface is small, and the bean feeder is bringing the beans too fast inside the burr chamber. This grinder's carrier does not crush the beans before bringing them to the burrs.

Monolith has better workflow, looks better than any other grinder, it's more precised build than any other grinder. I will still wait for the day that people post refractions on espresso beverages, because I have an ideea that the grinder does not perform so good at ultra fine grind, and it will be behind a tunned EK43 with 1-2% EY atleast.

And to make it a great week, There are 2-3kW variable speed controllers that work on Ek43 too, so if you want to reach the limits of grinding you can still explore that unexplored area (low rpm tunned ek43). I have played with the grind size App from Jgagne and have measured over 25 grinder in the espresso range (I told the owners to grind at the finest setting they would ever pull espresso at, and send me pictures). The result was that the Ek43 aligned with SSP grinds by far the finest. (peak at Ek was around 120 microns, while the rest where above 200 microns). finer grind means less fines in the grind and a more homogenous grind.

Pietro und infusione gefällt das.
  3. #583 Terranova, 16.03.2020
    Terranova

Terranova Mitglied

Utter nonsense presented with the usual vehemence.

Technokrat und Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672 gefällt das.
  4. #584 Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672, 16.03.2020
    Zuletzt von einem Moderator bearbeitet: 16.03.2020

A valid point of view, backed up with a lot of convincing arguments made by you. Maybe between those expensive grinder production you have the time to read some topics here with different grinders, with people using a power modulator to reduce rpm, and the results showed less fines. But wait, on Home Barista, monolith users reported a faster running shot with lower RPM, this must be a UTTerus nonsense, indeed.

Dont worry Frank, I had a big inheritance so I dont have to work. I have all the free time in the world to read, and yes I did read all your posts, and opinions. And I do know about your old instagram post with grinding speed:

It's just I dont agree that grinder set at brew range have the same results or proportional when they grind fine for espresso, and we can disagree (I dont see a problem in that):
    Monolith Flat RPM results & recommendations - Page 7

5. #585 Terranova, 16.03.2020
    Terranova

Terranova Mitglied

@Denis I don´t argue with you.
    Nothing is more time consuming (for me) than arguing with someone who is 100% convinced of everything he says, making his own conclusion.
    Just to remind you on one of your statements: "if an EK grinds fine enough, then the burrs are out of alignment" is just an example... do you remember that?
    Another thing is, I don´t want to intervene in a thread which is about the product of someone else, so my intension was just to correct a factual error, which is even allowed at home barista.

PS: It is wonderfull to hear that you don´t need to work because of your rumanian heritage.

onluxtex, Remu, Technokrat und einer weiteren Person gefällt das.
  6. #586 Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672, 16.03.2020

I still can back up that anyday of the year. Bring me any ek43 with stock burrs ,I will align the grinder, put inside a custom carrier and we break in the burrs and lets see how you do espresso from light roast with it. You will grind at 0. Misaligned burrs on EK produce more fines and more boulders. This means you grind coarser than with an aligned grinder. So I dont see what is wrong with my statement. I had the grinder as new, after aligning it to under 5 microns, with stock break in burrs coffee burrs (5kg of preboiled rice) and a poppy seed burr carrier made by you I could not grind fine enough light roasted nordic roast for espresso. With the stock burr carrier from Mahlkonig I could do it, but that carrier had a tolerance of 0.085 mm.

Just to point out, right now with everything break-in, SSP high uniformity, hyper aligned and triple checked carrier, I am grinding at 1.5 on the dial. Burrs touch at 0. People who I talk with they grind at 2.5+ with SSP and grinders aligned, with your carrier. Maybe I am doing something wrong (sarcasm).

Thank you for the rest.

7. #587 Terranova, 16.03.2020
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 16.03.2020
    Terranova

Terranova Mitglied

We never made a poppy / seed burr carrier, we just revised the original MK part as good as possible which is never that accurate as when producing in one clamp jaw.
    After figuring that this doesn´t work for us, we decided to produce our own burr carrier which is finally the 4th version

Yes you do (no sarcasm)

Maybe you find the difference between these 2 of your statements yourself. (I doubt it)

There is a huge different between saying "in all grinders" and "on Home Barista monolith users reported a faster running shot with lower RPM.
    This is what I mean with endless discussions with you, you are generalizing and most of your statements are different to what we discovered.

Technokrat und Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672 gefällt das.
  8. #588 Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672, 16.03.2020

"We never made a poppy / seed burr carrier, we just revised the original MK part as good as possible which is never that accurate as when producing in one clamp jaw."

100% accurate. The carrier had a tolerance of ~ 0.020mm after beeing revised on a lathe. But I managed to shim the burrs to bring it as close to zero as possible. Thank you for clarifying the terminology. I am never good with words. The new carriers you are building are top quality, less retention and I believe they break the beans before entering the burr chamber.

IMG_20191112_212119_277.jpg

rebecmeer und Terranova gefällt das.
  9. #589 rebecmeer, 16.03.2020
    rebecmeer

rebecmeer Mitglied

Infos parallel in Deutsch wäre nicht schlecht.
    Es ist immer noch ein Deutsches Forum.
    Mit dem Fach-Englisch habe ich es nicht so.
    Da werde ich wohl auch nicht der einzige sein.
    Aufgrund der vielfältigen Beiträge im Forum fehlt auch ganz einfach die Zeit den jeweiligen Text durch den Übersetzer zu jagen.
    Vielen Dank!

whereiscrumble und Gelöschte Mitglieder 84672 gefällt das.
  10. #590 Thoffi439, 16.03.2020
    Thoffi439

Thoffi439 Mitglied

Soweit ich weiß, kann man bei deepl ganze texte übersetzen lassen (zumindest war das vor nem halben Jahr so). Die Übersetzungen sind auch recht brauchbar.

WernerFrisur und umi gefällt das.
  11. #591 animus128, 05.09.2020
    animus128

animus128 Mitglied

Falls es jemanden interessiert: Es wird die Monolith Conical demnächst mit doppelten burrs geben im Stile von DRM System. In dem Fall allerdings mit zweimal konisch. Könnte mir aber vorstellen, dass das irgendwann auch zum Flat überschwappt. Mehr Infos kann man in dem HB thread finden.

Bin mir selber noch nicht sicher, was ich davon halten soll, aber cool, dass Kafatek das ausprobiert.

12. Danix

Danix Mitglied

In seinem Forum schreibt er aber das es explizit nicht wie das DRM System sein soll. Soweit ih das verstanden habe, sind es 2 Mahlkegel der erste wird nur grob mahlen(vorbrechen?) Und der zweite dann den gewünschten Mahlgrad.
    Bin gespannt auf die erste MC4.

13. #593 animus128, 05.09.2020
    animus128

animus128 Mitglied

Ich dachte, dass genau dass auch die Idee von bestehenden Hyrbid-burr Systemen ist und dass das neue von Kafatek nun konisch-konisch vs. konisch-flat ist. Da es ja nur extreme wenige solche Mühlen gibt, kann es aber gut sein, dass ich falsch liege.

Entscheidender Absatz ist

also geht es darum, dass ein buffer zwischen den beiden burrs ist als Unterscheid zu DRM. Mit zweimal konisch wird es konstruktionsbedingt wohl auch nicht anders funktionieren.

brewno, Danix und Silas gefällt das.
  14. Danix

Danix Mitglied

Genau so habe ich es auch verstanden.
    Er schreibt aber auch selber das zwischen der jetzigen MC3 und der MC4 geschmacklich keine Welten sondern eher Nuancen liegen.
    Daher denke ich das hier etwas heisser gekocht wird als später gegessen.Gespannt bin ich trotzdem.

15. #595 gummipferd, 12.09.2020
    gummipferd

gummipferd Mitglied

Für mich ergeben sich da zwei "Probleme" oder eher Fragen:

1) Vergrößert sich der Totraum? Nicht nur, gibt es nun zwei Mahlwerke mit Raum dazwischen, sondern auch einen "Buffer" um das Mahlgut des ersten Kegels zurückzuhalten und gleichmäßig dem zweiten Werk zuzuführen. Ich vermute, dass sich Denis dazu Gedanken gemacht hat, aber bisher habe ich noch keine Infos dazu gesehen.

2) Bisher hat die Conical Standardmahlwerke (plus eventuelle Upgrades) genutzt. Da bedeutete für mich, dass ich mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit Ersatz bekomme. Zumindest solange Mazzer existiert und vermutlich auch darüber hinaus. Nun ist das neue Mahlwerk von Denis extra fürs Vorbrechen entwickelt worden. Was ist wenn es ersetzt werden muss und Kafatek nicht mehr existiert? Das ist ja kein großer Mühlenhersteller sondern ein Paar-Mann-Betrieb.

16. Drischi

Drischi Mitglied

Die neuen Shuriken Burrs gibt es meines Wissens nach erst ab dieser Auslieferung im Dezember. Bin einer der Tombola Gewinner und wirklich gespannt auf die Scheiben ;)
    Angeblich soll die veränderte Laufrichtung des Schliffs bewirken, dass die 75mm Scheiben effektiv wie 80-83mm Scheiben fungieren.

brewno gefällt das.
  17. #597 gummipferd, 16.11.2020
    gummipferd

gummipferd Mitglied

"Shuriken" bezieht sich ja nur auf die Scheiben und nicht auf das neue konische Doppel-Mahlwerk.
    Im Kafatek-Forum gibt es jetzt die ersten Bilder der MC4-Duo. Die Mühle ist etwas höher durch eine etwas dickere "top plate". Der Rest hat die alten Maße, wenn ich das richtig erkenne. Außerdem ist die Basis vorne abgerundet.

Von den neuen Mahlkegeln gibt es noch keine Fotos, oder?
    Die Shurikenscheiben sehen auf jeden Fall super spannend aus und wenn ich mich nicht vertue anders als alle anderen auf dem Markt. Bin gespannt was die für einen Unterschied machen und ärgere mich, dass ich keine Flat habe :D

18. #598 wienermischung, 16.11.2020
    wienermischung

wienermischung Mitglied

19. Drischi

Drischi Mitglied

Im Kafatek Forum schreibt Denis dazu, dass er nicht zu einem Mahlscheibenhersteller werden möchte und daher nur an Besitzer oder Käufer einer Mühle vertreibt.
    Wer die Scheiben bestellen will muss außerdem einen „proof of ownership“ bereitstellen. Fühlt sich schon ein bisschen wie eine Sekte an :rolleyes:

20. #600 wienermischung, 16.11.2020
    wienermischung

wienermischung Mitglied

Finde ich schade. Würde gern die Burrs mal in einer ausgerichteten EK43 sehen und wie sie sich gegen SSP schlägt.

Thema:

"Monolith" Single-Doser Mühle von KafaTek

Die Seite wird geladen...

"Monolith" Single-Doser Mühle von KafaTek - Ähnliche Themen

1. [Abgelaufen] Kafatek Monolith MC4 neuwertig mit Gorilla-Gear 71mm

Kafatek Monolith MC4 neuwertig mit Gorilla-Gear 71mm: Hallo zusammen Leider muss ich mich von meiner geliebten MC4 verabschieden, da ich sie aus gesundheitlichen gründen zu wenig benutze. Sie ist...
  2. [Abgelaufen] Kafatek Monolith conical MC2

Kafatek Monolith conical MC2: Hallo zusammen, ich habe die Kafatek conical hier im Forum gekauft. siehe hier: [Erledigt] - Kafatek Monolith conical MC2 Ich wollte für die...
  3. [Verkauft] Kafatek Monolith Flat

Kafatek Monolith Flat: Da ich in letzter Zeit meist nur noch meine Mühle mit Timer verwende trenne mich von meiner Kafatek Monolith Flat. Die Mühle ist Bj. 2017, war...
  4. [Verkauft] Kafatek Monolith conical MC2

Kafatek Monolith conical MC2: Verkaufe meine Kafatek monolith Conical MC2. Sie ist in 1A+ Zustand und ist mit den TiNitr Burrs und einem Holzdeckel ausgerüstet. Ich habe sie...
  5. [Erledigt] Monolith Flat Max, Titus Nautilus, P100

Monolith Flat Max, Titus Nautilus, P100: Bin auf der Suche nach einer Mühle mit 98mm Scheiben. Momentan Ausschließlich für Filter. Gerne ein Flat Max mit Shuriken CR od. LM. Alternativ...