My new roaster

Diskutiere My new roaster im Vom Rohkaffee zum Selbströster Forum im Bereich Rund um die Bohne; Found this yesterday and could not resist buying it... Should be delivered before the Meet & greet on June 30th at my place where some coffee and...

1. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Found this yesterday and could not resist buying it...
    Should be delivered before the Meet & greet on June 30th at my place where some coffee and coffee roasting lovers will get together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody wants to join us on June 30th in Heerlen, Holland, please do...send me a mail and I'll send you my address, some other German coffee lovers from another forum will also be there...

2. #2 Walter_, 09.06.2007
    Walter_

Walter_ Mitglied

A three barrel sample roaster, how neat...

Now, that would be something according to my taste, where did you find it and what was the price?

As much as I would love to attend the meeting at your place, it won't be possible for me, I'm afraid. But maybe you can make it to this year's Forum meeting in August?

Cheers

Walter

3. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Yes, Walter, it is a three barrel Probat...looks to be in mint condition.
    I won't tell you what it cost or you'll just see green and yellow with envy...

Too bad you won't be able to come over to my place later this month, I'll see if I can find the thread regarding the august meeting on this forum...

4. #4 Walter_, 09.06.2007
    Walter_

Walter_ Mitglied

Given what I know about prior bargains of yours you may have a point here... ;)

... but still ... curiosity is going to kill me... :lol:

The thread about the board meeting is here...

5. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Try this: more then the cost of a new I-Roast2 but (lot's) less then the cost of a Gene or Hottop....
    This Probat is built like a f*****g tank and should last for the rest of my life once it is shipped over here and running.

How are you feeling now?

6. #6 Walter_, 09.06.2007
    Walter_

Walter_ Mitglied

Well I see a beautiful field of flowers ... mostly yellow and green for some strange reason... :twisted:

You lucky b*****d, my sincere congratulations... ;)

Cheers

Walter

P.S.: PM me please if you happen to find anotherone...

7. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Thanks Walter for the congrat's,

I've been looking for one of these for some years now but gave it up and hadn't looked for quite a few months.
    Last night all of a sudden I got the urge to check once again and the first site I checked had this baby for sale right on top of the list. (all the rest was stovetop junk)
    Contacted the seller and closed the deal real fast before anyone else had a chance to see it and then had the seller quickly remove it from the site.

I run across some nice (coffee related) stuff now and then and will let you know if I do find another one for a good (very important) price.

8. #8 Nightstalker, 11.06.2007
    Nightstalker

Nightstalker Mitglied

less than the gene... oh my...

well thats some kind of BIG luck i guess, congratulations!

Where do these flowers come from...... oh ah. :D

Nice one, well done, keep us up to date, cant wait to see it in action.

9. zapty

zapty Mitglied

AW: My new roaster

She is up and running.
    After taking her completely apart, cleaning, adjusting, oiling, testing the motor, figuring out the electrics, rewiring it and having the three elements re-coiled, a stand made for it and put back together again I have now done a few roasts with it.
    The little 3 barrel Probat works like a dream and roasts really well. No surprise there as that is what it was built for, it maybe old (1951) but in it's day it was a state of the art professional piece of equipment.
    I am running the 3 heating elements with the help of a variac in order to have some more control over the output.
    The old motor still runs like a dream.
    It is a joy to operate and experiment with.
    This little machine makes it much easier to experiment with different roast levels.

I started out with roasting 100 gram batches per barrel, then 150 grams and now have progressed to 200 grams per barrel with still excellent results.
    I tend to roast the first barrel to just in to full first crack, the second barrel till right after first crack and the third barrel up to full second crack.
    I then cool and blend all three roast levels together in order to have the full range of flavours from the beans.
    Works really well. The Probat heats up in a jiffy and produces excellent roasts, one roast after another.

Draws a lot of comments from people too as in the summer I tend to roast with my garage door open...
    The whole street smells of coffee....

10. #10 Nightstalker, 31.08.2007
    Nightstalker

Nightstalker Mitglied

He's back!

Great work you did, I think it was a bit of hard work to refurbish everything inside and outside this "little monster"? ;)
    Do you have some Pictures of it? I'm very interested in technical (coffee) stuff and want to know how this baby looks like and how it works.
    Also a few color samples would be nice, just to compare with other roasters, the Probata should roast very evenly doesn't it?

I'd give alot seeing and tasting your roasts, specialy today because I had no coffee yet :(

Good luck furthermore!

11. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Hallo Nightstalker,

I'll put up some pics soon, glad to hear you are interested, too bad you live a long ways away from my place...

Regards,

zapty

12. mastah

mastah Mitglied

hi zapty,

i'm coming to join your little party to kick up my foot in your ass that you feel green and yellow of pain... just kidding ;) it's to far away to do that otherwise... kidding again ;)

as a sign of esteem i would take my hat of to you. this time i'm not kidding.

supreme congratulations :)

how much is this baby weighing?

greetings
    markus

13. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Hello toposophic,

Too bad you are not in the vicinity, I always welcome fellow roasting afficionado's. Can do without your fancy footwork though...maybe join a football team...
    The weight of this little 3 barrel electric Probat sample roaster with motor and grinder and wooden mounting plate is about 90 kg.....

It is my little joy and pleasure and I feel almost sad that I've done most of the work already getting this excellent piece of German engineering going, more pics to follow for interested parties.

Regards from near Aachen,

zapty

14. zapty

zapty Mitglied

15. #15 rafiffi, 02.09.2007
    rafiffi

rafiffi Mitglied

Hi Patrick,

It must be fun roasting with your "new" Probat. I guess it will not be possible I make it to your home place as it is´about 3 hours away from Amsterdam City where I will be the coming week Thursday till Saturday for business reason. Congratulation once more for all the work you have done. If you want to get rid of your Maggio , just let me know ......

Reinhold

16. zapty

zapty Mitglied

Hi Reinhold,

That's too bad you can't make it.
    I'll think about the Maggio seriously in the next while. It's been upgraded with the digital thermostat recently and I also installed a new heating element while I was at it.

Patrick

Thema:

My new roaster

Die Seite wird geladen...

My new roaster - Ähnliche Themen

1. ROMA Roaster

ROMA Roaster: Guten Morgen zusammen, der Röster wurde hier kurz angesprochen. Was ist von diesem Heimröster zu halten? Die Versprechungen sehen ja nicht mal...
  2. [Vorstellung] RoasterGang bietet 10% Rabatt auf alle CentralRösterei Kaffeesorten!

RoasterGang bietet 10% Rabatt auf alle CentralRösterei Kaffeesorten!: Hallo liebe Kaffeefreunde, Vielen Dank an euch für euer Interesse an unserem Startup RoasterGang. Eure Kommentare, Kritik und Vorschläge sind für...
  3. [Vorstellung] RoasterGang-5% Rabatt auf das gesamte Kaffeesortiment

RoasterGang-5% Rabatt auf das gesamte Kaffeesortiment: Hallo liebe Kaffeefreunde, Wir möchten euch herzlich einladen, unsere Underdog Kaffee Manufaktur Produkte zu probieren. Exklusiv für die...
  4. [Vorstellung] RoasterGang Kaffee Marktplatz für lokale Kaffeemanufakturen

RoasterGang Kaffee Marktplatz für lokale Kaffeemanufakturen: Liebe Community, Ich freue mich, euch unseren Kaffee-Online-Shop RoasterGang vorstellen zu dürfen. Ich kann schon die Gedanken hören: "Schon...
  5. [Verkauft] Spiel: Coffee Roaster

Spiel: Coffee Roaster: Ein ziemliches Nischenspiel mit Auge für Details. Auch wenn es die Komplexität des Kaffeeröstens natürlich nicht 1:1 umsetzt. NP lag bei 35 Euro,...