[post in English] Bezzera 3000AL Lever operated machine: volume is too low?

Diskutiere [post in English] Bezzera 3000AL Lever operated machine: volume is too low? im Espresso- und Kaffeemaschinen Forum im Bereich Maschinen und Technik; Hello, I have recently bought a Bezzera 3000AL machine with a lever. The brewing head is made by Astoria, I believe. The machine is working...

1. #1 kunlun121, 28.10.2010
    kunlun121

kunlun121 Gast

Hello,

I have recently bought a Bezzera 3000AL machine with a lever. The brewing head is made by Astoria, I believe.

The machine is working great, but I was expecting a single pull of the lever to yield a double shot: around 60ml. Mine only gives 30ml.

Does anybody know whether some of these machines were made for single shots only?

Thank you for looking at this!

2. #2 cappufan, 28.10.2010
    cappufan

cappufan Mitglied

AW: [post in English] Bezzera 3000AL Lever operated machine: volume is too low?

That's perfectly normal.
    The volume of coffee you get depends on the volume of coffee meal you use (e.g. 14 or 16g) resp. the grind (how fine). I prefer a concentrated shot for its taste - then I also get 1 cup only (approx. 25 ml).
    If you grind coarser and use more coffee (e.g. 16g) it's possible to obtain about 50 - 60 ml.
    I prefer a longer preinfusion (20 - 25 sec.) and no coffee dripping until I let the lever rise up again. To achieve that, I adjust the grind accordingly - grinding fine enough (but not too fine - what would result in an overextraction, the lever rises much too slowly etc.).
    And the coffee must be really freshly roasted, about 2 weeks after the roasting day it's possible to let the coffee run about 25 - 30 Sek. Old beans tend to early blonding and I would not let the coffee flow longer than 15 sec. So fresh beans are indispensable...
    If you want to have the same level in the cup as when using a pump driven machine, you need to grind coarser (but, to my mind, still there should be no drops during the preinfusion period), using more coffee meal and very fresh beans. But still it remains a question of taste. I often prefer less volume and enjoy this very complex buttery experience ;-)

3. #3 alterschwede, 28.10.2010
    alterschwede

alterschwede Mitglied

I'll try amend some details to cappufan's answer.

With a lever machine you have a defined volume in the brewhead cylinder. When the piston goes down, it presses this volume of water through the coffee.

If you didn't preinfuse, you will loose water in the ground coffee. If you preinfuse until the first drop comes out of the spout, the coffee will be all soaked before the piston presses down the water. That way you'll get more coffee (maybe 40 ml).

You can increase the volume of coffee even further by a "fellini move". As the extraction just have started, you pull the lever down once again and fill the cylinder with water. You then immediately release the lever. That way you can make a full double espresso.

4. #4 cappufan, 28.10.2010
    cappufan

cappufan Mitglied

A fellini move doesn't work with my machine.
    There are certainly some differences.

P.S.
    Member Kaffeeklatsch1956 has recently bought the same Bezzi...Mr. Klee also has/had? one.

5. #5 willcrema, 28.10.2010
    willcrema

willcrema Mitglied

However a fellini movie fits perfect ....

...sorry

6. #6 kunlun121, 28.10.2010
    kunlun121

kunlun121 Gast

Thank you for these explanations. I have been playing with the fineness of the grind & the duration of preinfusion. And yes, my beans are always roasted no more than a day or two ago. (Absolutely amazing coffee roasted & sold by a German fellow in my town in Holland.) I can't achieve 20 seconds pre-infusion with no or hardly any drops. That would be way too fine & result in overextraction indeed. Usually the drops start falling after 5-10 seconds of pre-infusion & then I release the lever.

For a single (all I make as my machine yields no more than 3cl from the brewing head) I use 7 grams of coffee that (not counting pre-infusion) runs into the cup in 20-25 seconds after I let the lever come up. I adjusted the fineness of the grains to that. Is just about the same volume in the filter as I'd use with my old ECM Mechanika.

But my question is this: shouldn't the volume of the water inside the brewing head always be 6cl? (I.e. Enough for a double.) That way you pull a single shot @ 7 grams away after half of the brewing head's contents has passed through the coffee. The remaining 3cl then runs down the drain.

Mine will yield just 3cl. Then it stops. A "Fellini" should not normally be necessary, should it?

7. #7 alterschwede, 28.10.2010
    alterschwede

alterschwede Mitglied

No, it never was 60 ml, rather 40-45 ml. Why? Dunno. 30 ml fully saturated coffee powder sounds odd. But maybe one of guys, with experience of the Bezzi, will find this thread... Or write them a pm!

8. #8 13thfloorelevators, 28.10.2010
    13thfloorelevators

13thfloorelevators Mitglied

at my president the lever "hub" is 50ml (measured it once)..in the cup i get basically about 45 ml...

@willcreme: satyricon? ;-)

9. #9 kunlun121, 28.10.2010
    kunlun121

kunlun121 Gast

Oh, ok. That makes sense then.

10. #10 swimmer, 29.10.2010
    swimmer

swimmer Mitglied

Mag ik vragen waar jij zit? ;-)

Explanation: Sorry guys - could not help it and had to ask where he lives since it sounds like he's at the source of some good beans ... ;-)

Greetz from Nijmegen
    Stefan

11. #11 kunlun121, 15.02.2011
    kunlun121

kunlun121 Gast

Ok, it's been a while since this thread was active but I just came across it & wanted to give an update. I figured it out a while back.

Turns out my machine was very calcified. The copper tubes that form the thermosiphon system and the HX itself were filled to the brim with lime scales. Really, like a samba shaker. This machine was probably never cleaned in its life and did not drink filtered water while in service at the previous owner. The part of the brewing head between the cylinder and the body of the machine (the very small opening that feeds water to the cylinder) was also quite filled with scales and lime residue.

That caused the problem: not enough water flowed into the cylinder when raising the piston by pulling the lever. It could only trickle slowly into the cylinder. (The opening is about 1mm in diameter and would seem to assume that the flow of the thermosyphon system is not interrupted by about half a kilo of lime scales...)

I took most of the machine apart an cleaned every non-chromed metal part (almost all copper tubing and the HX inside the kettle) with aggressive acid: hydrochloric acid. I was a bit hesitant at first for fear of damage, but an experienced local espresso machine mechanic advised to use it because it quickly dissolves even the hardest scales. And it did. Oh boy... The chromed brewing head / cylinder I cleaned with a lighter type of acid (citric acid).

There was another defect: the piston rod wasn't straight anymore. That means the piston wouldn't move perfectly vertically through the cylinder. When moving back down after releasing the lever, it would get stuck near the bottom of the cylinder. That prevented it from pushing through the last bit of water. I ordered a new piston rod from Bezzera, which solved this problem.

After reassembly the machine worked perfectly and it still does. And yes, it does produce a perfect 60ml of fluid with a single pull of the lever: ideal for making 2 espressos using a double (14gram) filter.

I guess different people have different conceptions about "einwandsfrei" when advertising their machines. (But then again I am no native German speaker, so I may have missed a nuance there...)

Thema:

[post in English] Bezzera 3000AL Lever operated machine: volume is too low?

Die Seite wird geladen...

[post in English] Bezzera 3000AL Lever operated machine: volume is too low? - Ähnliche Themen

1. [Vorstellung] ito - Pressure-Profiling and Flow-Tracking (Jan 24) [ENGLISH]

ito - Pressure-Profiling and Flow-Tracking (Jan 24) [ENGLISH]: ito is a microcontroller module with SSR relays, WLAN and on-board power supply (about ito; video). It can be turned into a pressure & temperature...
  2. [English] Which coffe machine should I buy? Down to just two....

[English] Which coffe machine should I buy? Down to just two....: I have a small problem on my hands. I've been drinking espresso from my philips saeco poemia for a vew years now, and I always knew I'll sooner or...
  3. [English] A few questions about Quick Mill 5000a

[English] A few questions about Quick Mill 5000a: Hello! I should first apologize for posting in English, but I'm not proficient enough in German to post on a forum. Also, this site comes up a...